Welcome to Year 5: Silver Birch Class
The year 5 team is made up of two teachers: Mrs Wall and Mrs Massey, as well as a teaching assistant: Mrs L Jones.
In Terms 1 and 2 Year 5 will be having swimming lessons at Lings Pool every Tuesday afternoon. Your child will need to bring these items in a named bag: A swimming costume (a one piece, no bikinis) or swimming shorts, towel and a swimming hat. Long hair must always be tied back, and earrings removed for all PE lessons.
In terms 3, 4, 5 and 6 Indoor P.E will be on a Tuesday.
All year outdoor PE lessons will take place on Wednesday and we ask that children come to school for the entire day in their PE kit. They should wear: a plain white T-shirt and school jumper/cardigan., plain black shorts or jogging bottoms and trainers or plimsolls. Please do make your child is wearing the correct PE kit and label all items of clothing with your child’s name. If clothing does become lost it is so much easier to locate if it is named. We look forward to teaching your children and working together with families. If you do ever have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Maths homework is done online using Mathletics. It can be done on a PC, laptop or on a tablet. Your child will have a copy of their username and password. This will be due in every Wednesday.
- English homework is done online using Spelling Shed. Again, your child will have a copy of their username and password. This will be due in every Monday.
- Reading – children are expected to read at least 5 times a week for 15 minutes. Children have daily opportunities for reading challenging texts in school but is it is important that they have time to read books of their choice at home. When they finish a book, they will take an online quiz in school to test their comprehension. Please try and listen to your child read and support them in their understanding,
- Spellings will be tested every Monday. Most children will have 10 words to learn and we encourage them to practise these using the Look, Say, Cover, Write, Check method:
- Look at the word
- Say it aloud
- Cover it
- Write the word (no peeping)
- Check that it is right