IMPORTANT UPDATE DUE TO SCHOOL CHANGES (COVD-19)
How Can I Ensure My Child Is Safe Online?
You don’t need to be a technical expert to protect your child on the internet. Here are some very simple steps to keep your child safe online.
- Ensure you are aware which websites your children are using. Talk to your child about the websites that they use and involve yourself in their internet use, so that you understand. Explain to your children you’re helping to keep them safe.
- The internet is a fantastic learning and communication tool, so be positive about it and try not to overreact to minor issues. If your child worries that you may take away their access, they could become secretive and hide problems from you.
- Wherever possible, keep PCs, laptops and games consoles out of bedrooms, so that it is easier for you to monitor your child’s internet use. Please also remember that games consoles can be used for on-line gaming and therefore your child can chat to people online
- Just like school, set clear expectations and ground rules for when your child is on-line. If they understand what is and isn’t acceptable, it may help them to navigate any problems in the future.
- Make sure all devices that connect to the internet have parental controls to help you set appropriate boundaries. Find your service provider and learn how to set your controls. if you are unsure about this, please contact Mrs Reeve our ICT and Online Safety lead, who will be only too happy to help.
- Make sure that you are in control of the privacy settings for any of the on-line apps being used by your child. These need to be checked regularly to ensure that they are at the highest setting.
- Northamptonshire County Council have a designated Online Safety Officer and there is advice available on their website: https://www3.northamptonshire.gov.uk/councilservices
- For child-friendly information and advice visit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/findoutmore
- Handy posters to inform parents can be found at: https://nationalonlinesafety.com/guides
Below are parent friendly websites, which are designed to inform about different apps, games and social media:
Online Safety Tips for Christmas
For Children with New Devices
Christmas is almost upon us once again, and soon some lucky children will be excitedly tearing the wrapping off a new mobile phone, tablet or games console. For some of them, it will be the first time they’ve owned a device that connects them to the online world. Even for older children, a new device means new corners of the digital landscape to explore – and unfortunately, new risks to be aware of.
We’ve put together our top tips so that you can guide your young ones in enjoying their new digital gifts safely and responsibly throughout the year to come. Merry Christmas!
In the guide, you'll find tips such as how to turn location settings off, how to discourage device dependency and how to set up parental controls.